Friday, August 19, 2005

Barney Quilter, 1919 - 2005

What can I add to the honored memory of Barney Quilter? He served in the Ohio House for 28 years, 20 years of which he was Speaker Pro-Tem. He and his family joined us at city council in late July when we dedicated a portion of Woodville Road as Barney Quilter Way. We exchanged stories, Council gave him a standing ovation - it was the last time we spoke.

Barney advised my mom in her race for Oregon City Council and County Auditor, and always encouraged my brother and I to enter politics and public service. His daughter, Mary Ann Flannagan, and her family lived down the street from us growing up. She and my mom worked together at Clay High School for many years.

Son, Bernie, is a credit to his father's legacy of public service . Once elected as President of Oregon City Council and now Lucas County Clerk of Courts, Bernie is young enough to follow in his father's footsteps in the Statehouse. Mary Ann was just elected to the state teachers retirement system board. They both gave their father beautiful, good grandchildren whom I know Barney loved.

His wit, loyalty, counsel, service and generosity brought hundreds of leaders from across Ohio to Good Sheperd Church in East Toledo this morning for a moving funeral mass.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lisa Renee said...

All I can add to that is may he rest in peace and be in a place where he can continue to watch over us all.

Even though the Quilter family had him longer than I had my father? I extend my sympathy to them in their loss.

1:35 AM  
Anonymous Steve Fought said...

As a young state official in the 1980s, I learned quickly that Barney Quilter was a man of his word.

When Vern Riffe and Barney Quilter put the wheels in motion, things got done in Columbus.

That guy could crack the whip, now, in the Ohio House of Representatives.

Steve Fought
Toledo, Ohio

5:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barney Quilter was a true class act. He was liked and respected by both sides -- R's and D's. We need more people like Barney, intelligent, thoughtful, and willing to work across party lines.

10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home