Sunday, June 12, 2005

Fighting For Jobs

With all the attention on the GOP's disrespect of Ohio's injured workers, we can't allow Taft and statehouse Republicans to undermine the rest of us who work hard and play by the rules.

First, after much pressure, Taft found money in the budget and announced late last week that he will ask the Legislature to eliminate his planned 20% cut to the Local Government Fund to cities and counties. The City of Toledo is $3.6 million to the good, money that we can use in tight budget times to keep our municipal workers, police and fire serving us. I went to Columbus two years ago and three times earlier this spring to lobby against such cuts. Coverage here and here and here from toledoblade.com

Second, the GOP is seeking to gut enforcement of prevailing wage in Ohio - a keystone not only for Ohio's organized construction trades, but also for Ohio contractors. They seek to eliminate "interested party" lawsuits that serve as one of the main weapons in the arsenal in the enforcement of prevailing wage. More on this Monday.

Third, Taft is repaying his gubernatorial endorsement from the Teamsters with a huge tax increase on Ohio's trucking industry that threatens the jobs of thousands of honest, hard-working men and women. Also more on Monday.

This morning, I ask you to take immediate action. Contact Senate Finance Chair John Carey and Speaker Husted and urge them to protect Ohio's workers for a change by defending prevailing wage, defending Ohio's trucking businesses and workers from another big Taft tax increase and not cutting the Local Government Fund.

Later this week, gather friends and join us for a rally at 4:30pm Monday at One Government Center, and at another rally on Wednesday at the Statehouse in Columbus.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for fighting for your job, Frank, but what are we doing locally to attract new business here to Toledo? I guess I can appreciate your desparate need, like any politician, to find something to campaign AGAINST to trick Toledoans from evaulauating you on Toledo's own track record for the last four years

10:19 PM  
Blogger Frank said...

Keep reading.

10:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Frank,

I'm curious about the other blog comment you left Saturday night? I found it quite an interesting read and it's a shame you had second thoughts about it and deleted it.

I was under the impression you had nothing to hide. Were there things said that were inappropriate? I wish I knew why it was removed..

4:06 PM  
Blogger Frank said...

Someone told me that Pete Silverman got sanctioned last Thursday. Then I was told he hadn't. But a quick check of the party website has his name removed, so I'm left with the impression thay he is in fact sanctioned. Hard to tell actually what is going on at 1817 these days. I'm reworking my comments. Mr. Anonymous - why bust my chops about nothing to hide? Have a little more confidence in yourself.

5:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No Frank, just curious.

I would have thought the focus on Wilson was a tad insensitive, but your response makes sense.

I appreciate your honesty, thank you.

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home